Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Spaghetti Bolognese - a real meal!

I can't believe it, we've had our first proper meal where we eat pretty much what our toddler eats. This is truly a breakthrough!!! The meal was slightly bland, so I sparked our serves up with a bit of Parmesan cheese and flavoured lemon and garlic olive oil.

Spaghetti Bolognese
500g beef mince
1 small onion, diced
400g tinned tomatoes
1T tomato paste
2 carrots, diced
1 zuchinni, diced

500g Coles Organic Spaghetti - cook according to packet instructions

1. Cook beef and onions in sunflower oil.
2. Add other ingredients and simmer 30 mins or longer. Add enough water to keep it all bubbling along.
3. You'll notice no herbs or stock cubes - if you know you can use herbs or stock cubes, go ahead and add it for a little more zing, but at this stage our little one hasn't tried all those ingredients so this recipe is very basic. Onion is our latest addition, so that's already very exciting for this recipe.
4. I chopped up the pasta using kitchen scissors then added the sauce on top. To make it extra enticing, I showed our son the picture in the recipe book first and told his it was the same... He ate two whole bowls, so you've got to be happy with that!

At the end I was tempted to add some wine and cook it off, but then a friend just reminded me that wine is often clarified using egg white... just as well I passed on that cooking inspiration!


I've just rung the consumer hotline for Birdseye Golden Crunch Chips and they said that if the label doesn't mention contamination of the major allergens, then the foods will be clear of eggs, milk, nuts, sesame, shellfish etc. WooHoo!!! Who would have guessed that such yummy chips would not have any butter/dairy content? Stay tuned... Steak and Chips will soon be on the menu! Of course I'll have to test the chips during daylight hours initially to double check that the spices added are OK, but I can't wait! Oh, and I'll have to buy a new baking tray to cook them on to make sure there's no dairy on that either. Am I still excited? YES!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment